What Does the Assessor Do?

The Assessor is responsible for ensuring that all properties are assessed fairly and equitably as well as providing information about the various tax relief programs available to the public.

Both real estate (land and buildings) and personal property (business equipment) are subject to taxation, unless they are specifically exempted by law or subject to another form of taxation, such as the excise tax for motor vehicles and boats. Most home furnishings are exempt from personal property taxes, therefore the property tax bill for most Maine homeowners is based on the value of the land and buildings (house and outbuildings).

If you need to update the name or contact information on your account, please fill out and mail in the Tax and Sewer Information Change Request form.

If you believe the assessed value of your property is not accurate, please download the Application for Abatement of Property Taxes and submit the completed form to

Have questions or need to meet with the Assessor?
Please call (207)889-6909 to schedule an appointment.