- Public Works
Our Mission at the Orono Public Works Department is to work effectively and efficiently in collaboration with other departments, civic groups, and community members to provide services that help contribute to the safety, health, and quality of life of citizens and visitors of the Town of Orono.
Major responsibilities of the department include:
- Snow removal - Plow and manage ice on 41 miles of right of way, over 20 miles of sidewalks, and municipal parking areas including the school grounds.
- General maintenance of the right of way - Pavement markings, sweeping, roadside mowing, curb repair, ditching, roadside collection of brush and leaves, and pothole patching.
- Capital project support - Project management and cost estimating; as well as performing work not contracted like loam and grass seeding, final clean up, adjusting and installing culverts and drainage structures, sidewalk construction, and hand placed asphalt paving.
- Cemetery operation and maintenance - Aid the Town Clerk with lot sales, monument installations, perform internments, and grounds maintenance.
- Landfill operation and maintenance - Management of collected materials, maintenance for DEP permit requirements, spring cleanup “Free Week”, providing an attendant for regular hours of operation.
- Curbside collection of recycling
- Equipment maintenance and repair - Operation of the town garage, regular maintenance and repair of all fleet vehicles and equipment.