Online Services

The Town of Orono is pleased to offer a wide variety of services for our citizens. Please browse our services and contact us with any questions.

Back to top

Register My Vehicle

In-Person Registration & Renewal:
Visit the Town Office at 59 Main Street. Please bring dealer sale information or private purchase bill of sale, vehicle title (if 1995 or newer), current mileage on the vehicle, and proof of valid insurance. 

Online Renewal:
Renew your vehicle registration online through the Rapid Renewal website for a small fee - unless using an electronic check!

Back to top

Register My Boat

This online service allows you to register your Boat (vessel) with the State of Maine. Following your transaction, you will receive a temporary registration form to print for immediate use. Your official registration and stickers will arrive at the shipping address specified within ten business days. Learn more online.

Back to top

View & Register for Parks & Recreation Programs

Find out all about Orono Parks and Recreation programs and register online!

Back to top

Get a Landfill Permit

Visit the Orono Landfill page for permit information. The landfill, located off Forest Avenue, is open on Wednesday and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m..  The Public Works department site also includes information on disposal site regulations.

Back to top

Know the Recycling Collection Schedule

Recycling is collected for all areas of town every other Thursday or Friday depending on your curbside trash pickup day.

For program information visit the Public Works Trash & Recycling page.

Materials must be placed curbside by 7 a.m.

Back to top

Know the Trash Collection Schedule

Trash Pickup occurs weekly on the following schedule:

  • For the streets west of Main Street, from Gardner Road to Bennoch Road, trash pick-up is Thursdays.
  • For both sides of Main Street and all streets east of Main, including everything north of the Stillwater River (College Avenue, Webster side), trash pick-up is Fridays.

On the following holidays, trash pick-up is delayed by one day: New Year's, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas.

Please have all items in containers and on your curb by 7am. Please review the trash pick-up info page for more details.

Back to top

Register to Vote

Town Residents may come to the Town Office during regular business hours to register to vote or make changes to their current enrollment status. You must bring a photo ID and proof of residency. Residents should notify the registrar if their name or address changes so that the voting list may be updated. The registrar has the exclusive power to revise and maintain the voting list. Petitions containing signatures of Orono voters should also be presented to the registrar for verification.

Absentee ballots are available at the Town Clerk's Office.

Back to top

Find My Polling Place

All wards and precincts vote in the same location. November elections are held at the Collins Center for the Arts, 2 Flagstaff Road on the University of Maine campus. March and June elections are held in the Municipal Building Council Chambers at 59 Main Street.

All polls are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Back to top

License a Dog

  • Dog licenses for the year are now available. Maine law requires that all dogs six months of age or older be licensed in the municipality where their owners reside.
  • Proof of a valid Maine rabies vaccination is required.
  • All dogs must be licensed before January 31 of the upcoming year to avoid a $25 penalty.
  • The fee for a spayed or neutered dog is $6 and $11 for an unaltered dog.

Back to top

Get a Marriage License

The first step in filing a marriage license is to complete the marriage intentions worksheet. Both parties must sign the intentions, stating that they are free to marry.

The couple must file their intentions at the municipal office in the town or city where at least one of them resides. This license would be valid in the State of Maine.

If neither the bride nor the groom is a resident of Maine, they can file their intentions in any municipality. Once the intentions are filed and the license is issued, the parties are free to marry anywhere within the State.

Maine no longer requires that marriage licenses be held in the clerk's office for three business days before they can be issued.

Marriage licenses are valid for 90 days after the intentions are filed.

Persons previously married must provide documentation showing how the last marriage ended. This may be a certified copy of a death certificate or a complete copy of a divorce decree signed by the judge.

The filing fee for a marriage license is $40. Certified copies of the marriage license may be obtained after the marriage has taken place and the license is filed with the clerk's office. The fee for a certified copy is $15 for the first copy and $6 for each additional copy requested.

Back to top

Talk to Someone About My Sewer Bill

Please call the Town Office at 866-2556 to talk to a clerk about your Sewer Bill.

Back to top

Get a Burn Permit

Due to a change in state law, the Town can no longer issue burn permits. Burn permits can be purchased from the State by visiting:

Back to top

Get a Concealed Weapon's Permit

Please contact the Police Department at 866-4000 to request a concealed weapons permit.

Back to top

Get a Library Card

Library membership is free to Orono residents. Non-residents, seasonal and temporary residents may purchase a library card. Learn more at

Orono Residents

Residents of Orono may obtain a library card for FREE of charge by:

  • Filling out an application available at the circulation desk AND
  • Presenting a current piece of mail, showing a street address, as proof of residency.


People living outside of Orono and Bangor may obtain a library card by:

  • Filling out an application available at the circulation desk AND
  • Presenting a current piece of mail, showing a street address, as proof of residency AND
  • Paying $30 individual fee.

Seasonal Residents

Seasonal or short-term Orono residents may obtain a library card by:

  • Filling out an application available at the circulation desk AND
  • Paying a $10 deposit fee, which is refunded when all materials have been returned and the patron leaves.

Back to top

Pay a Ticket

  • To pay a Parking Ticket you must mail in your payment (cash or check) to Orono Police Department or bring it to the Orono Police Station.
  • For information on paying a Traffic Ticket, view the State Traffic Violations website

Back to top

Ride the Bus

BAT Community Connector provides service to and from Orono from throughout the Greater Bangor Area. Within Orono, a special shuttle, the Black Bear Orono Express, provides express service between Orono Downtown and the University of Maine Campus during the academic year, with several stops in neighborhoods in between.

Back to top